The race for AI supremacy is on with countries and companies investing in the research, development, and application of AI that promise to revolutionize the way we live. But as the technology advances, the call for standards and regulations to guide AI toward human benefit – and not destruction – is growing louder and more urgent.
In 2018, POLITICO presents the AI Summit: Innovation & Governance. The Summit is the first global leadership roundtable centered on issues at the intersection of innovation and governance, the launching point for solutions-driven conversations between policymakers, scientists, innovators, industries, startups and academics.
- How do we differentiate beneficial vs harmful AI?
- When do best practices and standards suffice, and at what point – or for which applications or industries – must governments apply regulation?
- What enforcement framework will global leaders construct to ensure rules are respected?
- Will the competition for dominance in AI development eliminate or exacerbate gaps in access?
- Where shall we even begin?
The inaugural Summit in Brussels will pave the way for a second edition in the US in Fall 2018.